Monday 10 November 2014

Wovember 2014



Following on from the excitement of Socktober we are plunging headlong into the sheepy fun which is Wovember - a month long celebration of all things British and woolly.

Wovember logo

Britain has a long standing love affair with wool of which we are rightly proud and this is a great opportunity to showcase our rich and varied wool history.

The Wovember organisation has a wonderful programe of events, competitions, writing and more throughout the month. Even if you are a dyed-in-the-wool enthusiast (sorry - I couldn't resist) you are sure to come across interesting facts and snippets to pique your interest. Join the Facebook group or follow on Twitter and you will receive lots of great information to brighten up your day.

Naturally, no good event worth it's salt can be without a KAL, but this of course is a WAL (wool-along) and any wool-related activity can be included whether it be spinning, weaving, crochet, knitting, felting, wool embroidery - you get the idea.

The only stipulation is that you must use 100% British wool for your project. Other than that you can let your imagination roam free. All the details are here  along with lots of fun chat and links.

Naturally, I can never resist an "along" so I will of course be diving into the stash for some suitable yarn. I am in desperate need of a winter hat and mittens so this project will be ideal. it will also give me the opportunity to "double dip" with the GAL (Gift-a-along) - more on this later in the week.

I was slightly shocked to realise how little 100% British wool I have in my stash - a situation which surely requires some attention. Although in my defence much of my stash is sock yarn with a little added nylon or something extra. 

West Yorkshire Spinners dk yarn - Photo from Ginger Twist Studios
I do have several skeins of wonderful West Yorkshire Spinners dk yarn though in the natural light brown colour which is just crying out to be made into a hat...for me..naturally.




No comments:

Post a Comment